Followers

Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Neighborhood


Life has been interesting these days. Best summarized as follows.

Six weeks ago:
Employed: Yes
Reliable Transportation: Yes
Miles driven per week: 330
Free time: Not so much

The past two weeks:
Employed: 5 hours/week
Reliable Transportation: No
Miles driven per week: See previous answer
Free time: 24/7

I know better, after knowing Jesus for 10 years now, than to call it coincidence and strip it of meaning and purpose. I know better than to panic and become desperate. This is to focus me and hone my purpose.

Remember just a few entries ago when I wrote about moving across the country? Welcome to my innermost thoughts. I thought I was long gone back to Pittsburgh, PA, the home of my family. I was already looking for jobs and apartments out there.

Well God has a funny way of speaking to us and working in our lives. You'd think that once I was laid off at work, that it would seem like a sign that I'm free to go, right?

Au contrare, mon frere. Since that day, it's been more clear than in quite some time past that I am exactly where He wants me. Just like in all those stories I heard in church and at Bible school, God is using this uncertain time to prove that He is our biggest certainty. I've seen enough money come my way to take care of all my bills, with just enough to spare. I've had time to slow down from the busy Southern California way of life and replace it with rest.

I've been able to do things I had always thought about doing, but fell by the wayside. I've been recording music. I finished reading a novel last night. I've been sleeping in. I've been taking pictures.

I found some beautiful horse trails right here in the neighborhood I live. I got to take a late afternoon walk and just explore and be free of any commitments or deadlines to meet. It has given me a new appreciation and comfort with the area I live in. The camera came along, of course. It was restful, and here is a sampling of shots that I got. It almost felt like fall, even in this mild west coast weather!

3 comments:

  1. very nice read, very inspiring thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah--so THAT is how you're doin' and what He's teaching you, huh? Haha. I really like your four-shot put together of your general neighborhood. La Habra, right? I kind of felt like singing "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood A beautiful day for a neighbor, Would you be mine? Could you be mine? " Are these also taken during the Golden Hour right before sunset? There seems to be a lot of gold captured in these ones too. That little trail under the bridge looks like a mighty fun one to adventure on! Speaking of adventures--when can I join, since you have more time now than you did when I asked the last time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was so encouraging matt. thanks for sharing brother. i hope the Lord continues to grow you and encourage you. it seems shallow to add this- but i love the glimpses of my home & the palm trees...so thanks for that too. :)

    ReplyDelete