Followers

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ice Skating in the City



This is "the bean." It's a sculpture in Millennium Park in Chicago. Quite the landmark.

This night was pretty memorable. It was a "double date" with some friends. There was a couple named Heidi and Matt (mentioned in the previous post about California), and I'm Matt, and we had another friend named Heidi. So I asked Heidi if she'd be in for a Matts & Heidis night, and she was. There is an outdoor ice skating rink just a few blocks from this structure. On the way back to the train after our fun night, we stopped here for a few pictures.

If you look closely in the reflections, you can see quite a few things:

  • On the left side, there is the building with a steeply sloped roof. You can see it in the wide city shots of "Gotham" in the newer Batman movies.
  • Another ice rink just below where I'm standing for this picture
  • My reflection against the railing, silhouetted against the rink
  • The lights of Michigan Ave. endlessly in both directions
  • On the right, the tall LCD screens that show a human face, then spit water out of the mouth.
  • Also on the right, various vague footprints in the snow.


Tens of thousands of other people have taken photos of this object, but I think I was fortunate enough to capture it at a somewhat unique moment.

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to visit Chicago--it intrigues me how 'the bean' was made! So much beauty in this world--man I want to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shot! Definitely not a generic bean photo.

    ReplyDelete