Followers

Monday, August 23, 2010

The West


This is what I thought California would look like.

When I first moved here, I was a little surprised. Orange County was much more city-like than I expected. One night during my first summer, I was on top of a hill at dusk, and saw the mountains and sky bathed in purple light and wrote something like this:

California, I've searched for you but couldn't find you. You have deceived me. But for this one night, you are exactly what I expected.

Well tonight was another night like that. I was driving at dusk, and I saw the purple sky, the mountains glowing, and the moon was rising just over them. It was just too perfect. This is the west. Away from all the concrete is a land of grand mystery and wilderness. It's that land that I dreamt of seeing in California. I'm grateful for the chance to see it some nights even when I don't seek it out.

This pic was taken from Vantage Pointe, one of my favorite spots that I know of.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! So beautiful. This entire picture makes me smile--especially how you captured the perfection of the moon over the mountain hills! :) Thank you for reminding me and showing me that California does have SOME beauty left in it--even though it's totally surrounded by concrete buildings and suburban-ness.

    ReplyDelete