Followers

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Wonderland.


This is wonderland.

This was taken on the Devil's Backbone Trail on the way to the peak of Mount Baldy. The view from this picture is on the way back from the peak.

They call it Baldy for a reason. Where many mountains are covered in trees or even brush, this mountain is, well, bald. This area of the hike is right before you round a corner and see the massive peak staring you down, challenging you to conquer it at 10,064 feet above sea level. This is the last wooded area before it all turns to dust and rocks.

Notice how all the trees are bent in the same direction. Their branches come mostly out from the uphill side of the tree. This is because in the harsh winter months, the cold icy wind blows up the side of the ridge causing these trees to bend. Then it snows and the weight of the snow compounds the problem further.

But I don't see it as a problem. I've called it Wonderland ever since the first time I took this hike (which this picture is from). It makes me feel like I'm some place far, far away. In some ways, being on the mountain ridge is already a stark contrast to the concrete world of Orange County. But Wonderland is bizarre and unique, even to the wild mountains. I can day dream about being here on those days I feel trapped by the smog and traffic.

Wonderland.

1 comment:

  1. I really like it! The slanted trees totally caught my attention before I even started reading! I always enjoyed Alice and Wonderland and you're totally right--just from the looks of it, it seems like a place far, far away--especially in contrast with the suburban feel of Orange County and all it's concreteness! Dude, I'd totally be down for going up and taking a well-paced hike up there. I need to get out of this concrete, smoggy, filled-with-traffic hole!

    ReplyDelete